Country Specific Finland
Theme: Managing and monitoring water resources and utilities – Finnish experience
- 20 minutes – Katri Methonen, Finnish Water Forum will introduce Finnish Water Forum organisation, its member companies, previous events and projects supported in South Africa, eg: Biolan Dry Toilets Khulisa/ StreetScape program on a presentation motivated by Managing and monitoring water resources and utilities – Finnish experience” with an intention to talk around particularly the knowhow of the participating Finnish companies and institutions.
- Finnish companies will introduce technology, innovation, approach and what they seek in the market (10 minutes each):
Utility of Mikkeli
AqvaAquamec / Watremaster
Q&A Moderated by Mr. Olli-Matti Verta
End of session
Finland will use the Country Specific platform to promote two sessions on opportunities in clean energy matched for Finnish companies and smart grid in |south Africa and a presentation of Finnish Water Forum on Finland’s experience on managing and monitoring water resources and utilities. The Country Specific sessions are designed to provide the best platform for Nordic companies to share their areas of specialization with specific industry audience in the Nordic Utility Days area on CC2. All Finnish companies are expected to attend either one of the sessions in respect of its industry. Each session will have a duration of 90 minutes, comprehending presentations, introductions of audience and discussions.
The goal is to position Finland technology and innovation as a forerunner in the industry in Sub Saharan Africa.
The style in which the country specific sessions would be handled should be industry specific discussion and showcasing of technology, innovation of Finnish expertise cases and how do the organisations see it fit to be rolled-up onto the South African or/and Southern Africa landscape.
Business Finland Senior Advisor Ines Mendes will moderate session on energy and Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of Finland Advisor Mr. Olli-Matti Verta will moderate the session on water.
Expectations – Presenters from Finnish Companies/Organisations:
Finnish company representative are advised to approach the session in the following manner:
- Should use using the platform to market their individual company, its brand or specific products, this is the objective of the session.
- Should focus on the innovative contents of their company technology, products and services offered in addressing industry challenges.
- Should try and show an understanding of the industry within Sub-Saharan African, and the unique challenges faced by potential clients/countries.
- Should present their individual company as part of a larger group of advanced Nordic innovative companies, together we are stronger, this is the whole essence of the Nordic Utility Day 2019.
If lake is defined to be a body of standing water larger than 500 m2, then there are 187,888 lakes in Finland. On average, there are 40 lakes per 100km2. Finland has water, high quality water and knows water.
Also, 47% of Finnish energy is already produced by renewable energy like bioenergy, hydro, wind power, and solar energy, but the Finnish government will not stop there. Finland will go coal-free by 2030 and is investing heavily in renewable energy and biofuels. No more coal-based energy production by 2030.
14:00 – 15:15
Building Finnish-South African Bioenergy and Smart grids clusters & ecosystems
Promethium, Robbie Louw will introduce two reports commissioned by Business Finland Energy Program on Opportunities for Finnish companies in Bioenergy and Smart grid vision in South Africa. Both these studies identify where and which projects could benefit from a potential Nordic consortium approach.
15:45 – 17:00
Managing and monitoring water resources and utilities – Finnish experience
Finnish Water Forum, Katri Methonen, will introduce the organisation, its member companies, previous events and projects supported in South Africa, eg: Biolan Dry Toilets, a Khulisa/ StreetScape program. This presentation will be motivated under the theme Managing and monitoring water resources and utilities – Finnish experience” with the intention to create a discussion and sharing on how can we do this together.
Come and meet some of the top Finnish companies of the industry looking to partner and implement meaningful projects in South Africa.